The COMESA-EAC-SADC Tripartite is establishing a Project Preparation and Implementation Unit (PPIU) based in Lusaka, Zambia. The PPIU will coordinate, manage and monitor Tripartite infrastructure projects in the Southern and Eastern Africa region. The PPIU will prepare infrastructure projects to a bankable stage once these projects have been identified by the Tripartite and/or approved by the Investment Committee of the Tripartite Trust Account (TTA).
The objectives of the PPIU are to:
- Establish a pipeline of infrastructure projects for the Tripartite.
- Assist with the development and implementation of the Tripartite Infrastructure Master Plan
- Develop close and strong working relationships with the various project preparation facilities and relevant donors and IFIs
- Start with a project concept and prepare the concept to a stage where it can be considered for funding either by a funder or, in the case of large projects, by a project preparation facility
- Assist with preparation of tender documents and managing on works and supervision contracts for large infrastructure projects
- Manage small infrastructure projects.