TMSA supports the COMESA-EAC-SADC Tripartite to generate innovative approaches, practices and solutions to vexing regional integration questions e.g. the programmatic approach to regional transport network development; integrated management approaches to the functioning of border crossing problems; an electronic approach to non-tariff barrier identification and reporting for real-time solution; introducing new and revamped methodologies and approaches to measuring progress and success, particularly along transport corridors. The RIRN will provide a platform for exchanging information and facilitating dialogue on these and many other pertinent regional integration issues and practices.
The RIRN dialogue platorm is:
- Inclusive - broadening the traditional circles for dialogue from policy makers and their think tanks to also include stakeholders such as private sector service providers, financiers and users / beneficiaries of regional integration activities.
- Focused on topics such as trade, trade and transport facilitation, regional infrastructural development, industrialisation within the region and linkages among these topics. In these areas the emphasis will be on particularly the ‘what’ and ‘how to’ of regional integration skewing dialogue to approaches, best practices, innovations, evidence, experiences, lessons learnt, impacts, risk mitigation and removal of constraints to regional integration. Even where traditional areas related to the political economy, scope and depth of regional integration are debated, the focus will be on practical aspects of the ‘what’ and ‘how’ of integration.
- Focused on regional integration particularly in the Tripartite Region, but also beyond.
- Complementary to existing dialogue forums and initiatives which have different purposes and approaches to the same functional areas.
The RIRN will facilitate information exchange and dialogue through:
- Generation of information and knowledge,
-- using peer-reviewed commissioned research, own research, and analytical pieces by academia, private sector and other potential contributors; and
-- through evidence and lessons learnt from pilot / demonstration projects / initiatives;
- Sharing of such information and knowledge through
-- publication in TMSA Trade and Regional Integration Discussion Notes, which will be downloadable from the TMSA Website;
-- TMSA Trade and Regional Integration Network Symposiums; and
-- participation in forums in this field that are initiated by other stakeholders
For more information and enquiries about the RIRN, please contact Lolette Kritzinger-van Niekerk at 012 349 7500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.